This is a very exciting time for us here at Village In The City – our very first online training for people who want to create and build micro-local communities in their own neighbourhoods is about to start! The programme runs for six week from Tuesday 25 May 2021, with weekly calls (recorded so you can catch up or review later), a weekly challenge to connect the ideas to your own place, continuing conversation and social learning with both the facilitator (Mark McKergow himself) and your fellow participants, and the chance to meet people like you from around the world who want to tackle the challenges facing us all by starting micro-local.
The programme will help you to:
- Get inside the six key elements of the Village In The City manifesto for creating effective neighbourhoods
- Connect with your own neighbourhood in new ways, looking at what’s strong and what’s working as well as how you can help improve it
- Assess how well your own place is functioning as a community, and get you started on connecting and building in your own street, block and patch
- Learn about ‘leading as a host’ by bringing people together effectively (rather than trying to be a hero and do it all yourself)
- Combine some basics about building connection and communication with the latest developments in place-making and the ’20-minute city’ movement
- Ask lots of questions and share your own know-how, insights and experiences with an eager group
- Meet people from around the world who are tackling similar situations so we can all learn together.
Although this is the first Village In The City course, we are in very good hands. Mark McKergow, the course facilitator and founder of Village In The City, is also one of the world’s leading trainers and teachers with over 30 years experience of creating effective learning groups. He has been running online courses including the highly successful Solution Focus Business Professional course at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee since 2011. Mark will be leading the course himself, bringing together insights from around the world with his encouraging and appreciative style.
The course starts on Tuesday 25th May 2021 with a Zoom call at 6pm-7.30pm UK time. The calls will continue each week:
- Week 1: Communication (Tuesday 25 May)
- Week 2: Hosting (Tuesday 1 June)
- Week 3: Meeting places ((Tuesday 8 June)
- Week 4: Inclusivity (Tuesday 15 June)
- Week 5: Inclusive events (Tuesday 22 June)
- Week 6: Building Identity ((Tuesday 29 June)
The course will take place within our Mighty Networks site which you will be able to join and access the special course forums and discussion areas.
Booking: Participation in the course (and continuing membership of our online community) costs £69 – nice! – (or $99) including all taxes. This is outstanding value, and supports our continuing work to make resources and support available around the world. However, if you are really not in a position to pay that, there is a reduced rate of £25 available. If even that is unmanageable for you, get in touch and we promise to help you if we can. Please contact Mark directly with ANY questions about the course and whether it’s for you at firstname.lastname@example.org . Booking and registration is at Village Builder course: May/June 2021 Tickets, Tue 25 May 2021 at 18:00 | Eventbrite.
Here’s Mark introducing the programme: