Six week Village Builders training course – starts Tuesday 25 May 2021
This six-week online course helps you to create and develop your ‘Village In The City’ – the micro-local community where YOU live.
Village In The City is all about supporting you to build your micro-local community. The six-week programme with Mark McKergow will build your capability from wherever you are in the direction of where you’d like to be.
Our Manifesto shows six key elements for a successful micro-local community. The programme is based around these elements, and will get you connecting tried and tested ideas with your own patch. The work will include elements of Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) along with Mark’s signature work on Solution-Focused practice (building progress by focusing on what’s working, not what’s wrong) and leading as a host. The course is open to all. Register now at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/village-builder-course-mayjune-2021-tickets-153620225229
Each week we will tackle one aspect of the Manifesto in a 90 minute call (recorded for later catch-up and review) along with a weekly challenge to see how the ideas relate and connect to your own neighbourhood. You will ALSO be working alongside fellow village-builders from around the world, learning and sharing together.
The calls will be on Tuesdays at 6pm UK-7.30pm UK time. They will also be recorded so you can catch up later or even download and keep them. The calls will be supplemented by written materials, worksheets and things to do exploring your own neighbourhood to see new possibilities, ways to get started and build on whatever is there already in terms of community and connection – whether that’s nothing at all or quite a lot. Whatever your current situation, we’re here to support you all the way.
This course will start on Tuesday 25 May 2021. The programme will be:
- Week 1: Communication (Tuesday 25 May)
- Week 2: Hosting (Tuesday 1 June)
- Week 3: Meeting places ((Tuesday 8 June)
- Week 4: Inclusivity (Tuesday 15 June)
- Week 5: Inclusive events (Tuesday 22 June)
- Week 6: Building Identity ((Tuesday 29 June)
Please note that all the calls will be recorded so you don’t have to make every call as it happens. There will be lots of chance to catch up and work alongside your fellow course participants to explore the ideas and how they fit for your neighbourhood.
As a participant, you’ll get some great benefits from joining the course :
- Access exclusive content. We’ve designed Village Builder training – May?June 2021 to inspire, instruct and engage people like you who want to make a positive difference to your neighbourhood.
- Get the latest from the fields of Asset Based Community Development, combined with Mark McKergow’s expertise in host leadership and solution-focused change.
- Meet new people. Your fellow students are as motivated as you are to master what we’re exploring here in the course. You’ll be meeting new friends from around the world as well as learning together and creating a support network which will last long after the course is over.
- Get results. The course materials combine practical know-how and on-the-ground ways of working with connections to global trends and emerging developments. This is going to be both great fun to do, and incredibly worthwhile for you, your community and the world of village-building.
- The course also includes access to our online Village In The City community where you can work with
About your facilitator: Mark McKergow is founder of Village In The City. He is also one of the most experience trainers, facilitators and learning hosts on the planet with over 30 years of experience including more than a decade leading online trainings. Mark’s mission in life is to help people tackle tough challenges and make them easier by drawing on both their own (possibly un-noticed) abilities and qualities, and using methods like Solutions Focus and Host Leadership which focus on drawing people together, breaking things down into smaller steps and using an appreciative eye and ear. Mark is co-author of The Solutions Focus: Making Coaching & Change SIMPLE, Host: Six new roles of engagement and Hosting Generative Change. You can find out more about his work at http://sfwork.com and http://hostleadership.com. Mark is working with Cormac Russell on a book for citizen-community builders who want to take an initiative in their own neighbourhoods
Booking: Participation in the course (and continuing membership of our online community) costs £69 (or $99), including all taxes. This is outstanding value, and supports our continuing work to make resources and support available around the world. However, if you are really not in a position to pay that, there is a reduced rate of £25 available. If even that is unmanageable for you, get in touch and we promise to help you if we can.
Please register now at Village Builder course: May/June 2021 Tickets, Tue 25 May 2021 at 18:00 | Eventbrite.